Suncoast Christian College recognises that every student is unique and that the environment in which they are nourished will play a pivotal role in how they deal with the responsibility of adulthood. As a result we have support staff, programs and processes in place to protect and care for every student.
As a Christian community we understand that a holistic approach to schooling is the desire of parents for their children and therefore our Pastoral Care is fundamental to who we are and what we do in our daily life at the College.
Suncoast is known for its quality student support. We have a team of people dedicated to providing an inclusive learning environment for children with early intervention, effective remediation, individualised programs and enrichment to help every child achieve learning success.
Student Support is led by our Director of Student Development, Mr Garth Reid, and includes each member of our teaching staff, Chaplains, Year Level Coordinators and Heads of School.
- A comprehensive child protection policy is enhanced by designated teachers who are accessible and known to all students in the College
- A zero tolerance for bullying is activated through student surveys and proactive programs while are supportive behavior policy aims to monitor and adjust student behaviour
- A culture of mentoring and discipleship
Students are supported on an individual basis with dedicated Primary and Secondary Chaplains. They also benefit from group programs run in partnership with the Suncoast Church in the areas of friendship and social interactions, family life and crisis situations as well as leadership. Our chaplains partner with teachers, parents, pastors and other members of the College community to achieve positive outcomes.
Christian Teaching is supported by:
- Daily staff devotional time
- Values taught and modeled by all staff
- Support Services
- Suncoast Church Pastoral support
- Student Support in place for guidance in careers and curriculum/school-related matters
- Weekly Chapels
Following enrolment, and as part of the Pastoral Care structure at Suncoast, students become a member of one of four Houses. The houses are named after four Old Testament characters from the book of Daniel: Shadrach (Yellow), Meshach (Blue), Abednego (Red) and Daniel (Green).
Students participate in recreational and competitive sport carnivals and novelty events during the year, encouraging participation through healthy competition.
Students experience a sense of belonging in their house teams, as they encourage and support one another, forming friendships with students from other year levels.