Suncoast Christian College currently has many school-based trainees and apprentices in the workforce in vocational areas in a diverse range of industries and disciplines.
Sunshine Coast Apprenticeships
What is a School-Based Traineeship or Apprenticeship?
Students spend four days at school, one day at work, and time at training. The flexible school program allows students to effectively combine a School-Based Traineeship or Apprenticeship while studying for their Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) and/or Overall Position (OP) score.
- School-Based Traineeships and Apprenticeships are integrated into the Senior timetable as one of the six Senior subjects so students may remain OP eligible.
- Get an OP and a traineeship or apprenticeship.
- Best of both worlds for practically-minded students wanting a head start into Sunshine Coast apprenticeships.
What Industries Are Available?
The options for students completing a School-Based Apprenticeship include:
- community recreation officer
- aero/flight industry
- construction and trades
Vocational Education Coordinator
Suncoast Christian College
P: (07) 5451 3600
Why Complete A School-Based Traineeship Or Apprenticeship?
- a head start into a career
- nationally recognised qualification
- opportunity to earn and learn
- get ahead of the competition when applying for jobs
- a head start into a full-time or part-time apprenticeship
- gain valuable work and industry experience before leaving school
- may lead to full-time work after leaving school
How Do Students Apply?
Steps to becoming a school-based trainee or apprentice at Suncoast Christian College:
- Speak with the Vocational Education Coordinator and complete a Request for Traineeship form.
- Have an interview with the Director of Studies or Deputy Principal.
- Complete work experience. If the employer is happy, a Training Contract and an Education, Training and Employment Schedule (ETES) is completed.
- Start your traineeship or apprenticeship.
What Are The Benefits To A Business Who Supports Your Traineeship Or Apprenticeship?
If you are a business looking to participate, please consider the benefits of employing a trainee or apprentice:
- an effective way to recruit and retain staff
- increase efficiency and productivity in your business
- foster growth
- maintain and preserve the quality skills in your industry
- train your staff the way you would like them to work
- nationally recognised training developed for industry by industry
- employers may benefit from state and federal government incentives