Suncoast Basketball Academy gives all players the opportunity to be coached by elite, experienced and dedicated coaches and to develop their game to high levels.
About Basketball Academy
The aim of the Academy is to give all basketball players the opportunity to be coached by elite, experienced and dedicated coaches and to develop their game to the next level. The Academy will provide an additional opportunity to all students at the College to access outstanding coaching programs within a supportive and engaging basketball environment.
Players will train and play within the Academy, maintaining strong community links with all local Basketball Clubs. Students will be given the opportunity to train and play with a Qualified BQ Accredited coach
The Academy endeavours to develop as many players as possible at the College, giving them quality training and first-class opposition in games, whilst also representing their local clubs in fixture games and finals series.
Junior Basketball Academy
Primary Students – Years 4-6
Tuesday 1:30 – 3:00 pm
Middle Years Academy
Secondary Students – Years 7-8
Friday 1:30 – 3:00 pm
Secondary Students – Years 9-10
Wednesday 1:30 – 3:00 pm
Senior Elite Academy
Primary Students – Years 4-6
How does Academy work?
- Specialist expert, highly qualified Basketball coaching staff
- 15 x 90-minute Academy training sessions over 2 Terms
- Game related approach as the major focus of all training
- Pro-active style of play
- Uniform systems and set plays as a “development tool”
- The importance of player development before winning
- An emphasis on technique before tactics and conditioning
- A “guided discovery” approach in player development
- Age-related development goals
- Totally game-based training from skills and drills, positional games and set plays
- “The best teacher of the game is the game itself”
- Suncoast Christian College understands that the game is the best teacher and that the players want to play the game
- To offer a competitive development that includes quality instruction in all aspects of basketball with an emphasis on fundamentals, skill development and game-like scenarios, and
- Athletes will learn basketball team offenses and defensive plays to improve game knowledge and practical game application
- Aim to enhance each athlete’s skills to better prepare them for their short and long-term goals.
- Give the athletes the required skills to perform successfully in basketball and life based on the principles: respect, sportsmanship, leadership and teamwork.
It is essential to look beyond the short-term approach and plan for the player’s long-term development. It is important that young players develop a variety of fundamental skills to help them become good general athletes. It is important, however, to keep in mind that players evolve at different rates. The growth rate of their bones, muscles, organs and nervous system is different from stage to stage and these developments largely dictate their physiological and performance capabilities. These factors will be developed through a phase-based, holistic approach, incorporating technique, insight, communication, conditioning and personal development as children develop into young adults.
We will have an approach to netball that aims to create resilient and competent players who are motivated to enjoy their participation in the sport and empowered to positively influence their own development. This approach includes the principles of leadership, empowerment, emotional intelligence and player learning preferences
A development squad of up to 16 students will be selected by the Head of Basketball, Kyle Healy
Selection will be based on the identification of the following:
a) Basketball skill
b) Player development potential
c) Game sense and team contribution
d) Attitude and commitment
Selection to represent the College in external competitions will be influenced by student attitude and behaviour.
What does Basketball Academy cost?
Middle Years $250 per term
- 15 weeks of development coaching sessions and trial game fees
- Personalised warm-up shirt
- Travel for all competitions (College bus provided for all inter-school trial matches)Equipment and facility use
Expressions of Interest
Head of Basketball
M. 0434 976 158
E. [email protected]